The Math & Science Centre is a free drop-in tutoring service offering support in intro level math, business, statistics, physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering courses (note: geology and psychology tutoring may be offered). The Math & Science Centre currently has openings for Tutors for the fall 2016 term. The Centre will open the second week of classes and will be open Mondays through Thursdays, 3pm to 8pm.
- Participate in tutor training
- Assist students in learning specific course material
- Assist students with study skills and learning strategies
- Maintain ongoing communication with the lead tutor/coordinator of the Math & Science Centre
- Complete an “Attendance and Summary of Session” form for each session worked
- Contribute to the development of Centre resources
- Provide feedback for the purpose of improving the Centre
A Math & Science Centre Tutor is responsible, reliable, and punctual and has demonstrated academic success in the subject area(s) in which he/she wishes to tutor. In addition, the following are deemed important:
- Strong listening, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- A desire to help others be successful
- Openness to diversity
- Respect for confidentiality
The initial work term will be from September to December 2016, with the possibility for renewal. It is hoped that a Tutor will be able to commit a minimum of 4 hours per week. The rate of pay is $15.75 – $16.25 per hour, subject to student experience.
Please apply by completing the following online application: