- Become a stronger, more empowered leader across sport and physical activity fields.
- Gain the skills you need to start a career in a growing industry.
- Gain a competitive edge, grow your network and build your resume by completely two 100 hour work placements in the community.
- Option to minor in an area of study best suited to your future goals (i.e. biology or business).
- Enhance your physical activity and sport knowledge in topics that interest you.
What makes us unique? Take a look:
- Only program in Canada that focuses on sport and physical activity that also includes a core competence of interdisciplinary community-oriented, problem-based learning courses
- CBU has competitive advantages, compared to other community-based sport, recreation, and physical activity programs, in: work placements, learning style, and tuition costs.
- Two required 100 hour placements (volunteer or paid work) provide students with meaningful career exploration and experience. The maximum required number of placements for competitor programs is one.
- Small class size! Our average 1st and 2nd year sizes: 29. 3rd and 4th year sizes: 19
- CBU offers more than $1.8 million in student scholarships every year
- CBU offers the lowest tuition + fees, and smallest student – faculty ratio out of any university in Nova Scotia
“The development and alignment of quality sport and physical activity participation opportunities are vital; we need change agents impacting communities, organizations and populations and SPAL at CBU will create appropriately trained and educated leaders who will have a major impact.Anyone who possesses a passion in leadership, coaching or community development will leave this program prepared to succeed in the sport, physical activity and recreation sectors, and be well-endowed with leadership skills and strategies to manage and lead people and organizations. SPAL program is appropriate, timely, and necessary.
-Dean Morley, Sport Nova Scotia – Cape Breton; Community Sport Development Consultant; Head Coach – CBU Men’s Soccer