Fast Facts

  • 75% of Cape Breton students who attend university choose CBU
  • Undergraduate degrees in liberal arts, business, science and technology
  • Diplomas and certificates in wireless, petroleum, environmental studies, integrative science, cultural studies, education
  • Nova Scotia based students comprise a significant portion of CBU enrollment (71% - CB; 6% - other NS; Total - 77%)
  • Atlantic Canada's leader in Aboriginal post-secondary education
  • Highest % of Aboriginal student enrollment of any institution in Atlantic Canada
  • Research
    • Two Tier 1 & One Tier 2 Canada Research Chairs
      • Integrative Science
      • Intangible Cultural Heritage
      • Molecular Spectroscopy
    • Chair in Mine Water Management
    • Projects funded by all federal granting councils
    • CFI, NSRIT, AIF projects
  • Academic & Research Building Infrastructure
    • Original structure built in 1960's ( A,B,C)
    • 1976 - Campus Centre
    • 1997 - Campus Expansion ( $18 million)
    • 1998 - Tech Enterprise Centre ($3.5 million)
    • 759,000 sq ft of space ($200 million replacement cost)
    • Deferred maintenance backlog of $21 million
  • Residence Infrastructure
    • 1990 - MacDonald Residence (146 beds dorm style)
    • 2000 - Cabot Residence (123 beds apartment style)
    • 2004 - Alumni Hall (190 beds - 120 apt. & 70 dorm)
    • 2010 - Harriss Hall (111 beds - houses University's first dining hall)
  • Endowment Fund has almost doubled in last few years enabling scholarship & bursary offerings of over $1 million

There is a long list of good reasons to study at CBU:

  • A commitment to provide relevant, meaningful and accessible programs
  • Solid study options in liberal arts, business, science and technology as well as education, health and wellness
  • Low student/teacher ratios allowing for excellent classroom interaction
  • Small class sizes that are the envy of other institutions
  • Work/study co-op programs in many disciplines
  • Excellent support services for students with special requirements
  • International student services
  • More than 70 student societies
  • English as a Second Language training
  • Outstanding undergraduate research opportunities
  • Established scientific and research institutes
  • Strong international partnerships
  • A focus on innovative technology
  • Student exchange opportunities
  • A Mi'kmaq Resource Centre
  • Four university residences
  • An ever-expanding scholarship program

... And an opportunity to cheer on the Capers - winners and contenders for numerous national championships!